Cabinet Reshuffle 2018: 3 Retiring Ministers, 6 Fresh Full Minister Appointments, But No Major Shake-Ups
The results are in after the highly anticipated cabinet reshuffle has been announced on 24 Apr.
Without further ado, here are your new ministers for at least the next 3 years.
BREAKING: Singapore, meet your new Cabinet.We talk about the full reshuffle in detail here: https://mustsharenews.com/cabinet-reshuffle-2018/
No changes in the following departments as the ministers remain the same.
- Prime Minister – Lee Hsien Loong
- Deputy Prime Minister – Teo Chee Hean
- Deputy Prime Minister – Tharman Shanmugaratnam
- Minister for Defence – Ng Eng Hen
- Minister for Transport – Khaw Boon Wan
- Minister for Finance – Heng Swee Kiat
- Minister for Foreign Affairs – Vivian Balakrishnan
- Minister for Home Affairs & Law – K Shanmugam
- Minister for Social & Family Development – Desmond Lee
- Minister for Culture, Community & Youth – Grace Fu
These are the ministers with new appointments after the reshuffle.
- Minister in Prime Minister’s Office – Indranee Rajah
- Previously Senior Minister of State
- Currently second minister in finance and education
- Minister for Communications & Information – Yacob Iswaran
- Also Minister-in-charge of Trade Relations
- Minister for Trade and Industry (Trade) – Chan Chun Sing
- Minister in Prime Minister’s Office – Ng Chee Meng
- Previously second Minister for Education
- Minister for Education – Ong Ye Kung
- Only minister heading MOE
- Will relinquish Second Minister for Defence
- Minister for Manpower – Josephine Teo
- Previously second Manpower Minister
Retirees and portfolio handovers
These are the ministers who will be stepping down from the cabinet:
- Trade and Industry (Trade) – Lim Hng Kiang (64)
- Manpower – Lim Swee Say (63)
- Communications and Information – Yaacob Ibrahim (62)
Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat will take over National Research Foundation matters from DPM Teo, while Mr Chan Chun Sing will oversee the public service.
Mr Masagos Zulkifli will take charge of Muslim Affairs, while Dr Janil Puthucheary will take over cyber security matters from Dr Yaacob.
Other 4G promotions
Other 4G leaders will be stepping up to new positions after the reshuffle as follows:
Ministers of State
- Social and Family Development – Mr Sam Tan (continue in MFA, relinquish PMO & MOM appointments)
- National Development and Manpower – Mr Zaqy Mohamad
Senior Ministers of State
- Law and Health – Mr Edwin Tong (July 2018)
- Defence – Mr Heng Chee How (moving from previous appointment in PMO)
- Communications and Information – Ms Sim Ann (continue in MCCY but relinquish appointment in MTI)
- Trade and Industry & Education – Mr Chee Hong Tat (relinquish MCI & MOH appointments)
- Trade and Industry – Dr Koh Poh Koon (relinquish MND appointment)
- Transport – Dr Puthucheary (continue in MCI, but relinquish MOE appointment)
Senior Parliamentary Secretaries
- Ms Sun Xueling (Home Affairs & National Development)
- Dr Tan Wu Meng (Foreign Affairs and Trade & Industry)
- Ms Low Yen Ling (Manpower)
All the best to our new cabinet
The changes, though minor, do reflect a gradual handover of portfolios to the new generation of leaders.
However, like many Singaporeans, we are wondering about Prime Ministerial succession, since no new Deputy Prime Ministers have been appointed.
But perhaps we can keep an eye out for Mr Heng and Mr Chan as they’ve taken over duties from DPM Teo.
Does that mean Mr Ong Ye Kung’s out of the running from the initial 3 candidates?
Who knows for sure?
Guess we’ll continue to wait with bated breath.
We wish the new appointees all the best in their new positions.
Featured image from MustShareNews.