Fernvale Water Safe And Sound, Says PUB
A case of fake news seems to have targeted Fernvale’s water supply. A 40-year-old woman in the estate decided to put up signs that alleged water at Block 406B Fernvale Road was “heavily contaminated with [a] poisonous substance”.
The notices, written in English and Mandarin, were found pasted to the front doors of some units of the block, and at its lift lobby as well.
Fake news much?
The police arrested the woman behind the notices on Friday (9 Feb) under the Mental Health Act, after PUB filed a police report.
Poisonous substance? Not at all
The woman is believed to be a resident of a 12th floor unit at the block, according to The Straits Times.
Her notice said that the block’s water supply was polluted with a “poisonous substance”, although she didn’t specify what it was. She also advised that residents use mineral water for drinking and cooking.
PUB has since confirmed that the block’s water is safe for drinking. “The public need not be alarmed,” it said on Facebook.
NOTICE: PUB received reports of a notice pasted on the doors of units in Blk 406B Fernvale Road. The notice claimed…
The notices also alleged that an unidentified gas was present and told residents to cover their floor traps and sink holes. However, no agency has stepped forth to refute this claim.
Residents kept calm despite water scare
Commenting on the arrest, the precinct’s Member of Parliament (MP) Mr Gan Thiam Poh said, “This is not something we will take lightly… (especially) when it comes to spreading rumours and causing panic, threatening peace and public order.”
Kudos to residents who kept calm and didn’t rush to stock up on mineral water from their neighbourhood NTUC FairPrice.
Instead, they flagged the issue to the Town Council and their MP – and it was resolved in no time.
That’s how it’s done, folks.
Featured Image via Facebook