Cause Of Death Is Suspected To Be An Allergen

One of the most bizarre headlines in recent memories involves a police officer and a hamster.

A female police officer died from an apparent allergic reaction after being bit by her own hamster.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, the deceased’s name is 陈瑾珏 (Wendy Tan Jin Jue in English). The 38-year-old was previously stationed at Tanglin Police Division.


Source

Ms Tan had two hamsters at home and was trying to separate the fighting pair when she received a bite on her thumb from one of them.

Subsequently, she felt paralysed in the tongue and hand.

Ms Tan was later sent to hospital, where she was pronounced dead after three days in a coma.


Source

The cause of death is suspected to be an allergen, although the contents of the hamster’s saliva is not known. Nor are the extent or details of Ms Tan’s allergies.

A similar case in Hong Kong involved an 11-year-old girl, who was asthmatic. She died of a rapid allergic reaction called anaphylaxis.

It is believed Ms Tan faced the same fate.

Lianhe Wanbao interviewed several vets, who said that hamsters are non-toxic and that they have not heard of hamster bites being fatal.

Ms Tan is survived by three daughters, who range between 4 and 10 years old.

Featured image from Wendy Tan’s Facebook.