Unbelievable Crimes In Singapore

When thinking of Singapore, atrocious crimes do not come to mind.

But you’d be surprised to know that Singapore has had its fair share of outrageous crimes that devastated the entire nation.

While most of these crimes ended in murder, a few of them were unbelievable for other reasons.

Let’s take a look at the most unbelievable crimes that happened in Singapore.

Do be warned that this may be a hard read for some, so do continue scrolling with due discretion.

1. Sheng Siong Kidnapping

The kidnapping of Ng Lye Poh, the elderly mother of Sheng Siong supermarket boss Lim Hock Chee sent shockwaves across Singapore when it was first happened in 2014.

Kidnapping is so unheard of locally that this was Singapore’s first case since 2003.


This crime was a typical tale of kidnapping for ransom, where the kidnapper, Lee Sze Yong, demanded millions of dollars in ransom.

Lee, a 44-year-old with mounting credit card debts, came up with the idea to kidnap a wealthy Singaporean for ransom.

He plotted for years, before finally carrying out his plan on Jan 8, 2014.

On the same day, Mr. Lim received a call demanding $20 million for his mother, which was then negotiated down to $2 million.

Madam Ng was released safely after the ransom was dropped off. Only an hour after her release, Lee was arrested.

He is now serving out his sentence of life imprisonment, and was given three strokes of the cane.

2. Maid found dead in water tank

On the morning of 16 May 2011, residents of a HDB block in Woodlands noticed that their tap water was running yellowish and foamy.

No one expected that Ms Ruliyawati, an Indonesian helper would be found dead in the water tank.

Image result for brown water from tapSource

Initial speculation suggested that she was murdered and thrown there by her boyfriend, Mr Repon.

After further investigation, it was discovered that Ms Ruliyawati was suicidal, and had tried to convince Mr Repon to commit suicide with her.

Around 7am on 16 May 2011, Mr Repon reluctantly followed Ms Ruliyawati to the rooftop as she threatened to stab herself if he didn’t.

When she tried to drown herself in the water tank, Ms Ruliyawati slashed him and herself with the knife.

Because of her aggressive behaviour, Mr Repon gave up and left her in the water tank, where she would drown.

Due to a lack of sufficient evidence, Mr Repon walked free, and the case remained unsolved.

3. Mother raped by her son

In this highly disturbing case, a 34-year-old man was found guilty of raping and molesting his biological mother.


To protect the identity of the victim, neither her nor her son have been named.

At around 2:30am on 4 Oct, 2013, the guilty party returned to his one-bedroom apartment where he proceeded to sexually assault and rape his own mother.

After leaving the scene, the victim called her son to try and make sense of what had occurred.

With the phone call used as evidence, the son was convicted of rape and eventually sentenced to 16 years’ jail and 18 strokes of the cane.

4. 8-year-old Huang Na’s death

Singaporeans were devastated back in 2004 when a little girl, Huang Na, was found dead 21 days after her disappearance.

Huang Na had been murdered by her mother’s colleague, a man named Took Leng How.

On 10 Oct 2004, Took bound her limbs with raffia string and sexually assaulted her. In order to prevent her from speaking out about what he had done, he smothered her and kicked her to death.

To hide her body, he covered her in plastic bags and sealed her in a cardboard box.

Her remains were found along Telok Blangah Hill, 21 days later.

Took was charged with her murder, and was hanged for his crimes in Jan 2006.

5. The murder of a prison police officer & his 3 assistants

Back in the 60s, Singapore was home to a penal experiment.

A prison police officer, Daniel Stanley Dutton, believed that prisoners were deserving of a second chance and capable of reform.


In order to facilitate this reform, an island 13km away from mainland Singapore known as Pulau Senang was used as a location for the experiment.

On the island, prisoners were given tasks to do, which would be assessed by Officer Dutton. If they were doing well, they would be sent back to mainland Singapore, where they would be aided in finding employment.

The prisoners on Pulau Senang were manned by only 50 security personnel, including Officer Dutton.

Officer Dutton’s confidence in the prisoners led him to disregard death threats made against him. This led to a violent riot on 12 July 1963, where the prisoners burnt the entire island to the ground.

Sadly, Officer Dutton and his three assistants were hacked to death by the prisoners.

18 prisoners were found guilty and hanged for their roles in inciting the violent riot.

6. Curry murder

Singaporeans were taken aback by this gruesome murder, which involved the victim being cut up into small pieces and being cooked in curry.

When Ayakanno Marimuthu went missing on 18 December 1984, police were not suspecting foul play.

Mr Marimuthu was missing for 3 years, before police received a call in Jan 1987, claiming the victim had been killed and cooked into curry.

Upon investigation, it was determined that his widow, her three brothers, her mother, and his sister-in-law were responsible for his murder.

The brothers had allegedly bludgeoned him with an iron rod in the caretaker’s quarters at Orchard Road Presbyterian Church. They proceeded to chop his body up, cooking him with chili powder, spices and rice.

However, these six suspects were never convicted, as the judge determined that neither the body nor the murder weapon were ever found.

7. Murder over a Rolex watch

Make-up artist Sally Poh Bee Eng’s murder was startling when it was discovered that she had been targeted by a stranger simply for her Rolex watch.

Jonaris Badlishah stole the watch as a present for his girlfriend, as he was in debt and it was not within his means to buy her a Rolex.


In the morning of April 20, 1998, Jonaris had a meeting with Ms Eng, promising to pay her $1,000 for a photo-shoot.

They agreed to meet at the Marina South bus stop, where he struck her on the head with a hammer. He dragged her limp body to the back of the bus stop, behind the bushes.

The strikes to her head took place more than 10 times. Finally, he cut her wrists and took her watch.

Police worked quickly, and were able to find the suspect just 3 days after the murder. After a 19-day trial, Jonaris was sentenced to to death by the judge.

8. Daughter commits suicide after killing mother

A 51-year-old woman, Andrea Tay, stabbed her mother to death before committing suicide by jumping from her kitchen window.

Tay’s mother, Madam Rosaline Lim, was 75-years-old at the time of the incident.

Following investigations, it was revealed that Tay blamed her mother for the death of her grandmother, and accused Madam Lim of casting spells on her.


Andrea Tay Su Lin killed her 75-year-old mother, Rosaline Lim, at their flat in Ang Mo Kio. She then committed suicide by throwing herself out from the window.

Tay used a chopper and knife, and caused hundreds of cuts on her mother, even after she was already dead.

After doing so, Tay jumped off her kitchen parapet, hitting her legs on a laundry rack as she fell to her death. Because of this, her legs were severed.

Police also discovered that parts of Madam Lim’s body were missing, including her eyeballs and part of her tongue. Her right lung was never found and remains missing till this day.

9. Toa Payoh ritual murders

Two young children, Agnes Ng and Ghazali Marzuki were murdered in 1981 as part of a ritual sacrifice to the Hindu Goddess Kali.

The murderer was self-proclaimed medium Adrian Lim, and two of his “holy wives”, Catherine Tan and Hoe Kah Hong.

His holy wives helped him murder the children as revenge against another rape accusation against Lim.

Lim convinced his holy wives that sacrificing two young children would be the only way to draw the attention of the police away from him.

They believed him, leading them to suffocate Agnes Ng to death, who was only 9-years-old. The murderers even drank her blood and smeared it on a portrait of Goddess Kali.

Ghazali Marzuki, a 10-year-old, was murdered two weeks later, and his injuries were consistent with Ng’s.

The three culprits were charged and hanged in 1988.

10. The abuse of an intellectually disabled woman that led to her death

The death of Annie Ee led to national outcry over the pain she suffered at the hands of two people she had trusted.

Singaporeans were shaken by Ms Ee’s story, as was an intellectually disabled woman who was taken advantage of by two individuals she had trusted to care for her.

An online petition was even started to seek harsher punishmentsharsher punishments for the couple.

Tan Hui Zhen and Pua Hak Chuan were ultimately responsible for her untimely death.

They had subjected Ms Ee to eight months of abuse — the severity of which made it difficult for her to walk, stand, and even breathe.

They had beaten her so severely that she had 12 fractured ribs, 7 fractured vertebrae, a ruptured stomach, and was covered in bruises and blisters.

Her cause of death was of acute fat embolism, an indirect effect of the intense beatings.

After investigations, it was determined that Tan and Pua had not murdered her, and were instead charged with torturing her.

Tan is now serving 16 and a half years in jail, while Pua is serving 14 years and 14 strokes of the cane.

Justice was mostly served for the victims

Sadly, the lives of most of these victims ended in tragedy.

We’re glad that justice was served in most cases, to the perpetrators of these unbelievable crimes.

Most importantly, we hope that the victims will rest in peace at long last, as their memories live on.

Featured image from KhaledTalibThriller.