Three people were sent to the hospital after construction materials left in the void deck of an Hougang block caught fire on Monday (16 Feb).
A video of the blaze posted on XiaoHongShu showed the void deck engulfed in flames, sending a thick plume of smoke up the side of the block.
Source: Charmaine on XiaoHongShu
In her caption, the original poster (OP) said she was resting on the sofa at home when her helper alerted her to a fire.
She then looked downstairs and saw fire and smoke.
Alarmed, they grabbed some belongings and fled together with her son and dog.
Another video she shared showed thick smoke covering the block, with a police car having arrived at the scene.
Source: Charmaine on XiaoHongShu
Several residents had already evacuated and stood nearby watching firefighters doing their work.
Source: Charmaine on XiaoHongShu
Two firefighters were seen trying to open a fire hydrant to connect their hose.
Source: Charmaine on XiaoHongShu
After the fire had been put out, the OP shared photos of the affected void deck, whose walls and pillars were blackened by the fire.
Source: Charmaine on XiaoHongShu
Some burnt construction materials were also observed in a corner of the void deck.
Source: Charmaine on XiaoHongShu
Mr Adrian Ang, chairman of the People’s Action Party’s Bedok Reservoir-Punggol branch, said in a Facebook post that a gondola used by a contractor from Aljunied-Hougang Town Council (AHTC) had caught fire.
The fire was confined to the void deck and did not spread to the residential units above, he added.
Source: Adrian Ang – 洪子扬 on Facebook
He spoke with AHTC’s officer in charge, who was present at the scene, and was told that professionals would be deployed to assess the situation thoroughly.
In response to queries from MS News, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the fire at about 12.45pm on 16 Feb.
It involved construction materials at the void deck of Block 418 Hougang Avenue 8.
The police and members of the public extinguished the fire using fire extinguishers before SCDF arrived.
In his post, Mr Ang thanked “two Samaritans” who stepped forward to help fight the fire, leading to the situation being brought under control promptly.
However, three people were assessed for smoke inhalation, SCDF said.
They were conveyed to Singapore General Hospital (SGH).
Mr Ang said “several residents” required medical assistance due to smoke inhalation. He wished them a smooth and speedy recovery and promised to visit them at home soon.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
At about the 3.50pm, the XiaoHongShu user posted again, sharing photos of town council workers cleaning the affected void deck.
Source: Charmaine on XiaoHongShu
She was impressed by the Government’s efficiency, saying that the workers arrived within two hours after the incident.
Source: Charmaine on XiaoHongShu
Also read: Bak kwa shop in Little India ravaged by fire before CNY, orders to be delayed
Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at news@mustsharenews.com.
Featured image adapted from Charmaine on XiaoHongShu.