Brazilian Woman Opens Washing Machine Before It Stops, Passes Away From Electrocution

Brazilian Mother Dies From Electric Shock After Opening Washing Machine

As useful as they may be, operating electrical appliances will always come with a certain amount of danger, especially if we’re not careful.

Some incidents may even end in tragedy.

This was the case for a young woman from Juazeiro, Brazil. She reportedly opened a washing machine to take out her clothes before it stopped, and as a result, suffered an electric shock and passed away.

Opened washing machine before it finished spinning

According to The Mirror, a 20-year-old Brazilian woman, Viviane Rodrigues, opened her washing machine at home to take out her clothes, unaware that it was still running.

Source: Dejan Krsmanovic on Flickr. Photo for illustration purposes only.

When she reached her hand inside, she reportedly suffered a huge electric shock.

Her husband rushed her to the emergency department of the local hospital but it was too late, and she was declared dead on arrival.

Source: Newsflash via The Mirror

After an autopsy, Mrs Rodrigues’ body was taken back to her family’s home in the rural community of Gameleira do Di, Campo Formoso. They buried her last Thursday (16 Jun).

Mrs Rodrigues leaves behind her husband and a nine-month-old son.

Frequency of accidents related to washing machines

Unfortunately, washing machine-related accidents like this happen all too frequently, with a large number of victims being children.

 

Just last year, a small child in New Zealand died after being found unresponsive in a washing machine. A three-year-old girl in Arkansas, United States, also passed away after climbing into a washing machine in 2016.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, there have been at least three washing machine-related deaths involving children since 2014.

Additionally, washing machine-related incidents have sent around 3,000 people to the emergency room, highlighting the dangers of such a common appliance.

Condolences to Mrs Rodrigues’ family

It’s terrifying and heartbreaking how such a simple household chore ultimately ended the life of an innocent individual. Mrs Rodrigues had her whole life ahead of her, but one unassuming action snuffed it out.

MS News sends our deepest condolences to Mrs Rodrigues’ family. May she rest in peace.

At the same time, this should also serve as a reminder for everyone to always handle electrical appliances with care.

Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at news@mustsharenews.com.

Featured images adapted from The Mirror and Polina Tankilevitch on Pexels, for illustration purposes only.

Sudeshna Dhar

Sudeshna is a lover of all romcoms, especially Gone Girl (2014).

Recent Posts

Customer in HK calls out ‘ridiculous’ situation after eatery gives flat wooden spoon for porridge

Hong Kong will ban all single-use plastics from 22 April.

21 Apr 2024, 1:32 am

Taylor Swift and boyfriend Travis Kelce’s visit to Gardens by the Bay spotted in new YouTube Short

The American football player caught her last two shows here on 8 & 9 March.

20 Apr 2024, 11:01 pm

Suspected killer of Audrey Fang identified as Mitchell Ong, had reportedly known her for years

Police reportedly found a large sum of cash in his hotel room.

20 Apr 2024, 10:00 pm

Vivian Balakrishnan & Tan Wu Meng among MPs who received extortion letters, police reports filed

All three posted on 20 April confirming that they received the letters.

20 Apr 2024, 6:21 pm

Motorcycle crashes into rear end of car at Tuas Second Link, rider flung onto road

Footage showed that the car had been parked on the right-most lane.

20 Apr 2024, 2:52 pm