Brazilian Woman Opens Washing Machine Before It Stops, Passes Away From Electrocution

Brazilian Woman Opens Washing Machine Before It Stops, Passes Away From Electrocution

Brazilian Mother Dies From Electric Shock After Opening Washing Machine

As useful as they may be, operating electrical appliances will always come with a certain amount of danger, especially if we’re not careful.

Phone Charger Explodes While S’porean Woman Is Using It, She Suffers Burns On Hand

Some incidents may even end in tragedy.

This was the case for a young woman from Juazeiro, Brazil. She reportedly opened a washing machine to take out her clothes before it stopped, and as a result, suffered an electric shock and passed away.

Opened washing machine before it finished spinning

According to The Mirror, a 20-year-old Brazilian woman, Viviane Rodrigues, opened her washing machine at home to take out her clothes, unaware that it was still running.

washing machine shock

Source: Dejan Krsmanovic on Flickr. Photo for illustration purposes only.

When she reached her hand inside, she reportedly suffered a huge electric shock.

Her husband rushed her to the emergency department of the local hospital but it was too late, and she was declared dead on arrival.

washing machine shock

Source: Newsflash via The Mirror

After an autopsy, Mrs Rodrigues’ body was taken back to her family’s home in the rural community of Gameleira do Di, Campo Formoso. They buried her last Thursday (16 Jun).

Mrs Rodrigues leaves behind her husband and a nine-month-old son.

Frequency of accidents related to washing machines

Unfortunately, washing machine-related accidents like this happen all too frequently, with a large number of victims being children.

Just last year, a small child in New Zealand died after being found unresponsive in a washing machine. A three-year-old girl in Arkansas, United States, also passed away after climbing into a washing machine in 2016.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, there have been at least three washing machine-related deaths involving children since 2014.

Additionally, washing machine-related incidents have sent around 3,000 people to the emergency room, highlighting the dangers of such a common appliance.

Condolences to Mrs Rodrigues’ family

It’s terrifying and heartbreaking how such a simple household chore ultimately ended the life of an innocent individual. Mrs Rodrigues had her whole life ahead of her, but one unassuming action snuffed it out.

MS News sends our deepest condolences to Mrs Rodrigues’ family. May she rest in peace.

At the same time, this should also serve as a reminder for everyone to always handle electrical appliances with care.

Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at

Featured images adapted from The Mirror and Polina Tankilevitch on Pexels, for illustration purposes only.

Drop us your email so you won't miss the latest news.

  • More From Author