2 dead including shooter after alleged shooting at Philippines school, president orders investigation

Two students dead after school shooting in southern Philippines

Two students were killed in a shooting at Ateneo de Zamboanga University in Zamboanga City, Philippines, on Tuesday morning (18 Aug).

The incident took place at the university’s junior high school campus.

According to Reuters, citing a preliminary police report, the suspected shooter was a Grade 9 student who brought a pistol and a rifle onto campus.

Source: Ateneo de Zamboanga University on Facebook

He allegedly opened fire at students inside a classroom, killing a male student one grade above him before taking his own life.

Police Regional Office 9 reportedly received reports of the shooting at around 7.50am, with officers responding to the campus shortly after.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) said personnel coordinated with school authorities and other agencies to ensure the safety of students and staff.

Authorities later said the situation was under control and there was no longer an active shooting threat.

Shooter allegedly opened fire inside classrooms

Videos circulating online appeared to show a person carrying a long firearm and a pistol on the school premises.

Early local media reports said the shooter had livestreamed parts of the incident on social media. Footage appeared to show students fleeing classrooms after shots were fired.

Source: @lizzamarieee on X

Manila Bulletin reported that the shooter moved between classrooms while firing, with students escaping through other exits.

 

Two bodies were later found inside the building.

Source: Manila Bulletin

One male student was found in a fourth-floor classroom, while the suspected shooter was found on the fifth floor with a firearm nearby.

Source: Manila Bulletin

University confirms two fatalities

Ateneo de Zamboanga University confirmed in an official statement that two people had died in the incident.

Source: Ateneo de Zamboanga University on Facebook

The university said it was coordinating with authorities to establish the circumstances of the shooting and would provide further details once information had been verified.

Its Grade School separately assured parents and guardians that all Grade School students were safe and accounted for, and remained under the supervision of their class moderators.

Source: Ateneo de Zamboanga University Grade School on Facebook

University president Ernald Andal also confirmed that there was no longer an active shooting situation.

“We do not want any of these things to happen. We wish to prioritise the safety of all our students,” he told Reuters.

Zamboanga City Mayor Khymer Olaso also suspended classes at all levels at Ateneo de Zamboanga following the shooting.

President orders investigation into shooting

In a statement posted on Facebook, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said he was grieving with the victims’ families and the Ateneo de Zamboanga community following the shooting.

Source: Bongbong Marcos on Facebook

He said he had directed law enforcement agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident and assess what further measures could be taken to prevent similar tragedies.

Mr Marcos added that the government would work with schools and communities to strengthen safeguards for students and ensure they can continue their education without fear.

Also read: 7 killed & at least 20 students injured in Thailand school shooting

Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at news@mustsharenews.com.

Featured image adapted from Ateneo de Zamboanga University on Facebook and Manila Bulletin.

Thanawut Fasaisirinan

When faced with boredom, Bank lets the notes of music and the pull of gaming fill the empty hours.

Share
Published by
Thanawut Fasaisirinan