Viral

Man In M’sia Drains Clogged Sink Using Soda Powder, Pipe Explodes & Injures Neighbour’s Children

Man Attempts To Drain Clogged Sink Using Soda Powder, Causes Pipe To Explode

EDITOR’S NOTE: A previous version of this article mentioned that the man used baking soda to clear his clogged sink. It was inaccurate. We have since corrected the term to ‘soda powder’, per reports by Malaysian news sites.

Those of us who’ve encountered a clogged sink before would know how difficult it can be to clear.

While some may consider calling a plumber, a man in Malaysia took matters into his own hands and attempted to drain his clogged sink by using soda powder.

Harian Metro reported that the soda is believed to contain acid, which apparently reacted with the water flowing down into his neighbour’s unit, resulting in an explosion.

Neighbour’s children burned by water flowing from pipe

According to China Press, the incident happened at around 9.30pm on Tuesday (31 Jan).

The neighbour, a 32-year-old housewife, told police that she heard a loud explosion from the kitchen.

This was followed by her children screaming, which prompted her husband to investigate.

Upon entering the kitchen, they discovered their two young children burned by water flowing from the pipes from the upstairs unit.

Source: China Press

Subsequently, they conveyed their children to Kuala Lumpur Hospital, where they received treatment for their injuries.

 

Their nine-year-old son suffered burns all over his scalp and body and had to remain in the intensive care unit (ICU).

Source: China Press

Meanwhile, their seven-year-old daughter sustained burns on her right thigh and has been discharged from the hospital.

Thankfully, both of the children are in stable condition.

Man tries to drain clogged sink using soda powder

Following the incident, the owner of the unit above them confessed to the police that he had wanted to drain his clogged sink.

To do this, he purchased a pack of soda powder for RM50 (S$15) online and poured it down the drain.

Source: HowToGym on Unsplash

As it turns out, the acid believed to be in the soda powder triggered a chemical reaction when it came into contact with the water that flowed through the pipes.

Hence, the liquid exploded when it flowed down the pipe into the neighbour’s unit.

It’s unclear if the soda powder is baking soda or a different type of product. Police are currently investigating the incident.

Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at news@mustsharenews.com.

Featured image adapted from China Press

Nicole Foo

Nicole thinks about Ya Kun Set C a bit too often.

Recent Posts

Woman collapses & injures chin at Woodlands Checkpoint, refuses medical attention for fear of reaching work late

She only agreed to have her injuries checked after office staff persuaded her.

15 Apr 2024, 11:53 am

Man arrested after putting metal rod against cashier’s neck & trying to rob Choa Chu Kang supermarket

He left the supermarket when the cashier did not give him money.

15 Apr 2024, 11:18 am

Cat of woman who died in Taiwan quake rescued, owner was crushed trying to save her

The female tabby is being treated for some scrapes and dehydration.

15 Apr 2024, 4:45 am

Old Airport Road Hawker Centre to be closed for 4-month renovation from June

At least 10 stalls there were observed to be empty.

15 Apr 2024, 2:32 am