You Can Pre-Order Year Of The Boar Coins Till 16 Dec
Many Singaporeans will be familiar with the tradition of receiving a gold coin in the year of your zodiac as a coming-of-age gift.
For those born in the Year of the Boar, you’re in luck.
Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) has just released this year’s edition of coin faces and they are absolutely adorable — despite featuring no actual boars.
Instead, a cute pink piglet who lives at Pulau Ubin will front the designs unveiled by MAS on (Wed) 21 Nov. That’s probably a wise choice as our real boar neighbours look more like this.
Without further ado, let’s take a quick look at the full list of designs and prices before we start shopping.
Classic silver designs
We love that the silver designs are reminiscent of our regular coins. The smiling pig in pink is our top pick, and perhaps the most affordable option of the lot.
1. $2 Round Coin (Nickel) – S$25.00
2. $2 Round Silver Coin (Colour) – S$48.00
3. $5 Octagonal Coin (Silver) – S$118.00
4. $5 Floral Silver Coin (Colour) – S$128.00
5. $20 Round Coin (Silver) – S$768.00
6. $80 Rectangular Coin (Silver) – S$2,618.00
Good ole’ gold
They say gold always retains its value and that’s definitely the rule that coin collectors live by. Be prepared to fork out at least a thousand dollars for these alluring 999.9 Fine Gold designs.
1. $5 Rectangular Coin (Gold) – S$148.00
1. $20 Round Coin (Gold) – S$888.00
2. $100 Octagonal Coin (Gold) – S$3,418.00
3. $200 Round Coin (Gold) – S$15,888.00
Three’s never a crowd
Those seeking variety can check out the family of coins which come nestled in a specially designed box, as a commemorative set.
The most exclusive collection costs a whopping $16,388, but coin connoisseurs know that they may be a good investment in the long-run.
1. Silver 2-Coin Set – S$238.00
2. Silver 3-Coin Set – S$278.00
3. Gold & Silver 3-Coin Set – S$3,588.00
4. Gold & Silver 5oz 2-Coin Set – S$16,388.00
Pre-order by 16 Dec
The freshly minted limited edition coins will be on sale from 1 Jan 2019. But pre-orders have already begun.
Contact The Singapore Mint at these hotlines to place your orders ASAP:
- 6566 2626
- 6895 0288
- 6222 2486
- 6336 2878
- 6634 2009
You can also get your coin sets here on their official website by 16 Dec 2018.
Consider choosing the self-collection option to get your coins faster. The collection will be done at The Singapore Mint Lunar Fair at Toa Payoh HDB Hub on 1-13 Jan 2019.
Do note that if the coins are oversubscribed, the Singapore Mint will conduct a ballot to determine who gets to buy them.
We expect that the coins will be snapped up by eager parents and coin collectors alike.
So may the balloting odds be ever in your favour.