MUIS says ‘religious influencer’ who abused 2 boys not linked to mosque, will strengthen security measures

‘Religious influencer’ jailed & caned for sexually abusing 2 boys, first met older boy at mosque

Warning: Some readers may find the descriptions in this article graphic and triggering. Discretion is advised.

A “religious influencer” who was jailed and caned for sexually abusing two boys repeatedly is not linked to the mosque where he met them, said the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS).

In light of the case, existing security measures at mosques will be strengthened, MUIS said in a statement on Monday (17 Aug).

Source: Google Maps

‘Religious influencer’ first met older boy in 2022

The 37-year-old married Singaporean man, who was not named to protect the victims’ identities, regularly posted social media videos on religious issues, according to court proceedings reported on by Channel NewsAsia (CNA).

His two victims were brothers whose parents had divorced. As their mother was in a drug rehabilitation centre, they lived with their grandmother for two years, from October 2021 to 2023.

The man first met the older boy at an unnamed mosque in April 2022.

The boy, who was nine or 10 years old, had recognised the man from social media and went up to introduce himself.

Man became close to both boys after gaining grandmother’s trust

The boy subsequently became close to the man and was invited to his grandmother’s home.

The grandmother started trusting him due to his religious videos and upon learning that he was a childhood friend of her sons.

He started taking the boy to school daily and visiting the grandmother’s flat, sometimes with his wife.

He soon became close to the younger brother too, and spent a lot of time with him, including taking him to the mosque for prayers.

The man eventually offered himself as a father figure, with the boys calling him “daddy” and sleeping over at his house with the blessing of their grandmother.

Source: Cassidy Dickens on Unsplash. Photo for illustration purposes only.

‘Religious influencer’ sexually abuses boys

The man started raping the younger brother between 2022 and 2023, when the boy was only six to eight years old.

The first incident was at his home, but he told the boy not to tell anyone or it would mean he did not “love Daddy” and “Daddy” would go to jail.

The rapes took place repeatedly after that, with the man giving the boy toys as rewards.

Once, he even raped the boy inside a toilet in the mosque, while his older brother was waiting for them.

This happened on the first day that the boys attended a religious class conducted by the man five days a week after school.

The man started molesting the older brother in early 2024, when he visited his home and took him to a staircase landing.

Similarly, he told the boy to keep mum about it by trying to humiliate him into not telling.

‘Religious influencer’ arrested after boys tell mother about abuses

The abuses came to light in April 2024 when the younger boy told his mother about what had been done to him while visiting relatives.

The older boy then revealed that he was also abused by the same man.

The man was confronted over the phone by the mother’s godbrother, but he denied it.

When he met the mother and her godbrother in person, he professed to be shocked by the accusations and claimed they were impossible because he had erectile dysfunction.

He later confessed, but claimed that he had been controlled by a supernatural spirit.

He was arrested after the police were called.

Source: Singapore Police Force on Facebook. Photo for illustration purposes only.

Man has never been recognised as a religious teacher

The man, who has been in custody since his arrest, was assessed to have paedophilic disorder.

But this condition did not contribute to the offences, and his risk of reoffending is “moderate”, the court heard.

He was also described as a “religious influencer” who has never been recognised as an Islamic or Quranic teacher under the Administration of Muslim Law.

MUIS’ statement further clarified that he is not a mosque staff member or volunteer, nor is he an asatizah — a religious teacher or scholar — accredited under the Asatizah Recognition Scheme (ARS).

Boys scarred by incident

Prosecutors called for the man to receive up to 28 years and 11 months’ jail and the maximum 24 strokes of the cane.

He had “abused every inch” of the trust the boys had in him as a father figure, they said.

The abuse of trust was also “insidious” as it was tantamount to “exploitation of his religious facade”, they added.

The younger boy has been having nightmares and is afraid of going to places that would make him remember the man, sometimes even being unable to go to school.

He also developed suicidal thoughts, engaged in self-harm and has trouble trusting people.

The brothers, previously close, have grown apart as the younger boy blamed his brother for first getting to know the man.

The older boy has also developed suicidal thoughts and felt disgusted by what happened. He also blamed himself for bringing the man into his family.

Source: Satyam Pathak on Unsplash. Photo for illustraion purposes only.

Man gets almost 28 years’ jail & 24 strokes of the cane

The man eventually pleaded guilty to three charges of rape and two counts of molestation, with 12 charges taken into consideration.

On Monday (17 Aug), he was sentenced to 27 years and 10 months in prison, as well as 24 strokes of the cane.

For raping a minor, he could have been jailed for between eight and 20 years and received at least 12 strokes of the cane for each charge.

MUIS to boost patrols & CCTV at mosques

In its statement, MUIS strongly condemned the “serious sexual offences” involving youth victims on mosque premises.

Mosques must always be safe and trusted spaces, especially for the young, it said.

Thus, it resolved to strengthen existing security measures, including patrols and CCTV monitoring.

MUIS is committed to keeping mosques “safe, trusted and welcoming spaces” for all by strengthening safeguards and working with the community to ensure that the young are safe and supported, it added.

Source: Google Maps

Public advised to seek guidance from accredited religious teachers

But MUIS noted that as more religious engagement takes place online, safeguarding should also extend beyond mosque premises.

“Parents, mosque leaders, asatizah and the wider community have an important role in helping our young recognise trusted sources, navigate online interactions safely, and speak up when something does not seem right,” it maintained, encouraging Muslims to seek guidance from ARS-accredited asatizah.

Members of the public can verify the accreditation of an asatizah by checking MUIS’ online ARS directory, it said, adding:

Individuals who appear or present themselves as religious should not automatically be regarded as qualified religious teachers.

Also read: Father in M’sia sexually abuses daughter until she got pregnant, gets 39 years’ jail & 10 strokes of the cane

Father in M’sia sexually abuses daughter until she got pregnant, gets 39 years’ jail & 10 strokes of the cane

Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at news@mustsharenews.com.

Featured image adapted from Satyam Pathak on Unsplash. Photo for illustration purposes only.