SATS Officer Dies After Eating Food From Spize River Valley

Spize River Valley

The SATS officer who fell sick after eating food from Spize River Valley has died.

Mr Fadli Salleh died on Wednesday (Nov 15) at Sengkang General Hospital (SKH), reported The Straits Times.

He leaves behind his wife and their two young children.

Mr Salleh had eaten a bento box prepared by Spize River Valley on Deepavali (Nov 6). He later fell sick and was admitted to SKH’s ICU.

Mr Salleh wasn’t the only one who fell ill. The Ministry of Health says that 9 other people are still hospitalised but their conditions are stable. 36 others have since been discharged.

A coroner’s inquiry will look into the cause of Mr Salleh’s death.

Hygiene lapses

A joint investigation by the National Environment Agency, MOH and Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority found several hygiene lapses at Spize River Valley:

  • Leaving ready-to-eat food uncovered in a chiller
  • Not providing soap for hand washing, because of a faulty soap dispenser
  • Slotting knives for preparing ready-to-eat food in the gap between the food preparation tables

Spize co-owner Mr Haresh Sabnani said that 221 bento sets were sent to 6 locations on Deepavali. “But only one location was affected,” he said.

Celebration gone wrong

Mr Salleh had eaten the food at a Deepavali celebration organised by security company Brink’s Singapore. He had been deployed to Brink’s Singapore before the celebration, which did not involve SATS.

Nevertheless, SATS says that it is supporting Mr Salleh’s family.

All 25 staff of Spize River Valley are helping clean up the kitchen and restaurant.

Featured image from Spize @ River Valley’s Facebook

Drop us your email so you won't miss the latest news.

  • More From Author