S’porean Alleges Chrysanthemum Tea Packet Had ‘Black Jelly’ In It

Update (13 Jul): Marigold Singapore has reached out to us with their official reply regarding the matter. Here’s what they said in full,

Dear Ms Prasashini,

We have communicated a few times since 25th of June 2019 and we spoke again today on 12th July. We are sorry to hear about your experience concerning a pack of MARIGOLD Chrysanthemum tea. Unfortunately, we could not conduct an analysis of the affected product since the affected pack was not available. 

Nevertheless, we managed to get hold of a few packs of the same batch code from the same shop of your complimentary drink and did laboratory tests. Quality check report indicated that there was no issue with the products and to-date we have not received any other such feedback. This is an isolated incident likely caused by mishandling or unfavourable storage conditions which have compromised packaging integrity. 

Please be assured that MARIGOLD has strict quality control for all manufacturing processes. We appreciate your feedback because consumer satisfaction and product quality are our top priorities. 

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards, 
MARIGOLD


A man in Singapore has allegedly found “sticky substances” in his packaged drinks, and posted about the affair online.

On Thursday (11 Jul), a netizen named Mr Raj uploaded a series of pictures on Facebook showing “black jelly-like substance” allegedly found in a packet of Marigold Chrysanthemum tea.

Source

We have reached out to Marigold for comments on the matter, but first let’s take a look at what he claims was his experience.

“Black substance” in chrysanthemum tea packet

Late June, Mr Raj shares that he consumed a packet of chrysanthemum tea.

However, halfway into the drink, he says that he felt a “pulpy” substance in his mouth. So he spat it out and allegedly discovered a “black jelly-like substance”. He then proceeded to cut the packet in half, only to find more of it in the packet.

Source

Probably wondering if he drank an expired packet, he apparently double-checked the expiry date which showed that it expires in Jun 2020.

Source

Allegedly suffered high fever & food poisoning

Based on his Facebook post, Mr Raj claims that he had a high fever and food poisoning after consuming the drink.

Black substance in the packet
Source

He claims the brand didn’t take his complaint seriously

So, you may be wondering why he took 2 weeks to lodge a complaint.

The netizen claimed he sent Marigold an email complaining about his experience but didn’t get a reply.

Frustrated, he called them to get an update on his complaint but says that “no one took it seriously”.

This time, he called the manager of the marketing department. The manager offered him compensation for his terrible experience — another carton of drinks from Marigold.

He chose to decline their offer.

Be careful when consuming packet drinks

MS News has reached out to Marigold Singapore for the validity of his account. We will update this article when we have an official statement form them.

Though Mr Raj’s experience sounds terrible, this is still a one-sided story. So take it with a pinch of salt until you’ve heard both sides.

For now, do try to be careful when drinking packet drinks, regardless of the brand you’re consuming.

Featured image from Facebook.