2 More M’sians Test Positive For Coronavirus Over The Weekend, 1 Linked To S’pore Conference

Malaysia’s Latest Coronavirus Cases Include One Linked To Grand Hyatt Conference In Singapore

Malaysia just confirmed its 17th and 18th coronavirus cases today (10 Feb), according to Channel NewsAsia (CNA).


The 17th is the 65 year-old mother-in-law of another victim. Her son-in-law, a 42 year-old Malaysian man, is believed to have gotten infected at the Grand Hyatt hotel conference cluster in Singapore. He was Malaysia’s first reported domestic case of the virus, and the ninth case reported overall.

The 18th is a 31 year-old man who worked in Macau.

Both patients represent Malaysia’s 5th and 6th domestic cases respectively.

Infected during CNY dinner

CNA reported that between 26-28 Jan, the 17th case shared limited contact with her son-in-law when they had Chinese New Year meals together.

According to the Malaysian Health Ministry, she suffers various chronic ailments, including diabetes and high blood pressure.


The 17th case stayed home during the incubation period, and began feeling unwell on 5 Feb. She complained of fatigue, dizziness, and perspiration. A private hospital provided her with outpatient treatment and allowed her to return home.

Contact tracing led authorities to 17th case

After her son-in-law tested positive for the 2019-nCoV, contact tracing identified the 17th case and her other family members for isolation and testing.

So far, she appears to be the only other person to have been infected. Further contact tracing is still underway.


The woman is currently admitted to the isolation ward of Sungai Buloh Hospital in Selangor, Malaysia. She is reportedly in stable condition.

18th coronavirus patient felt unwell after returning on 1 Feb

The 18th case, who is also the 6th Malaysian to contract the virus returned home to Malaysia on 1 Feb, and began feeling unwell on 3 Feb.

Prior to that, he had travelled to mainland China. He sought medical treatment at a clinic on 4 Feb and 6 Feb, based on a report by CNA.

On 7 Feb, he was transferred from Banting Hospital to Sungai Buloh Hospital. Tests showed he was suffering from severe acute respiratory infection.


A sample taken from him yesterday (9 Feb) has now tested positive for coronavirus. Contact tracing is currently underway.

Elsewhere, Malaysia has seen three cases recover, while Singapore has seen six.

We wish both patients a speedy recovery, and hope they join their ranks soon.

Featured image adapted from Nikkei Asian Review and Google Maps.

Drop us your email so you won't miss the latest news.

  • More From Author