88-Year-Old Man Allegedly Slashed At Ang Mo Kio Block, Elderly Male Suspect Arrested

88-Year-Old Elderly Man Allegedly Slashed By 80-Year-Old In Ang Mo Kio

Warning: Some readers may find photos and descriptions in this article graphic. Discretion is advised.

When Singaporeans approach their twilight years, they may spend their days chatting and drinking at neighbourhood kopitiams.

While these activities are generally chill, violence may occur when disagreements ensue.

That’s what reportedly happened between two elderly regulars of an Ang Mo Kio coffee shop that resulted in the 88-year-old allegedly getting slashed.

The other man, 80, was arrested by the police.

Incident occurred on 17 Mar at Ang Mo Kio HDB block

The incident occurred on Friday (17 Mar) at about 6pm at Block 122 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3, reported Shin Min Daily News.

Source: Google Maps

According to eyewitnesses, the alleged slashing took place in front of the Sheng Siong Supermarket in the block.

Reporters observed that the police had cordoned off the area outside the supermarket and a nearby lift lobby.

Elderly man sits on ground after allegedly being slashed

A man named only as Mr Wen (transliterated from Mandarin), who works nearby, said he heard a commotion outside and found out that an elderly man had allegedly been slashed.

The alleged victim was on the ground bleeding profusely, and many passers-by came over to assist him, the 29-year-old added.

Photos sent in by readers showed the injured man sitting on the ground and leaning against the wall, his left sleeve stained with blood.

Another eyewitness, a man named only as Mr Luo (transliterated from Mandarin) who works at a nearby zi char stall, said the man’s face had long knife wounds, including over his nose.

He bled out onto his clothes and the ground, added the 39-year-old.

Medics helped bandage the wounds before he was sent to the hospital.

In response to Shin Min’s queries, the police said an 88-year-old man was sent to the hospital while conscious.

The injured party is understood to have suffered cuts on his cheek, nose and hands, which he sustained while trying to defend himself.

80-year-old suspect assisting investigations

As for the suspect, it’s understood that he went home after committing the alleged slashing while people were focused on helping the injured man.

After the incident, it was observed that two or three police officers went to the suspect’s flat to investigate.

At about 7.30pm, they escorted out a man with white hair who was expressionless.

According to the police, they arrested an 80-year-old man suspected of voluntarily causing hurt with a dangerous weapon.

Investigations are still ongoing.

Bloody handprints left at lift landing

Besides the blood left at the alleged crime scene, bloodstains were reportedly found at a nearby lift landing.

After the police cordoned off the lift landing, bloody handprints were seen inside the lift and on the walls outside.

Additionally, the police recovered a fruit knife, believed to be the weapon used in the alleged crime.

Duo were kopitiam regulars who got into an argument

Mr Xie (transliterated from Mandarin), an assistant at a kopitiam nearby, told Shin Min that the suspect and the alleged victim were regulars at his kopitiam.

They would come to eat and drink coffee almost every day and would never cause trouble.

However, the two got into an argument recently. Apparently, the injured man had spread some gossip that was overheard by the suspect’s wife, who then told him about it.

Unhappy, the suspect confronted the 88-year-old on Wednesday (15 Mar), allegedly warning that he would slash him.

The other man replied that he wasn’t afraid of him.

Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at news@mustsharenews.com.

Featured image adapted from Shin Min Daily News and Google Maps.

Drop us your email so you won't miss the latest news.

  • More From Author