Exploding PMD Tragedy At Ang Mo Kio Makes Family Not Want To Own Them Anymore

Family Loses Everything After Exploding PMD Tragedy, But Singaporeans Rally To Help

Personal mobility devices (PMDs) are fast becoming Singaporeans’ public enemy #1, and not for no reason.


The amount of times they’ve made the news in 2019 alone is cause for concern.

A fire that laid waste to a block in Ang Mo Kio on 22 July started because of an exploding PMD, which was charging in the kitchen.

On Saturday (26 Oct), TODAY Online published an article where they interviewed a family member of the razed flat, a Madam Sadiah — and what they lost in that fateful fire is enough to cripple most families.

However, they are currently able to continue living somewhere else, with the help of many different parties.

Lost $6,000 cash to the flames no thanks to exploding PMD

The timing of the fire could not have been more unfortunate for Madam Sadiah’s family.

Just a month before, the family had purchased a sofa and other furniture to celebrate Hari Raya Puasa.

She had also withdrawn $6,000 in the event of an emergency. Unfortunately, this emergency money, along with the furniture, would be lost in the fire.


The blaze proved too difficult to control, probably due to the PMD’s proximity to flammable items in the kitchen.

Family devastated, but help arrived from all corners

Many kind souls exist among Singaporeans, and even statutory boards were sympathetic to the family’s plight, TODAY Online reported.

The family got by with the help of Housing & Development Board (HDB), Ang Mo Kio Town Council, strangers and friends alike.

HDB found a flat for them in the same block, while the Social Services Office ensured they needn’t pay rent for 3 months.

Someone even offered the family household items as he would be renovating his flat, which they were extremely thankful for.

Family won’t own PMDs anymore

One thing Madam Sadiah’s family won’t be needing anytime soon is PMDs.

Although 2 male family members were food delivery riders, most of the PMDs were already sold before the fire.


In fact, the PMD that caught fire didn’t even belong to them — it belonged to the fiancé of a family member, who’d left it to charge in their home.

More Singaporeans want PMDs banned

The spate of fires started by PMDs during that period as well as accidents involving PMDs would probably already spook most, but having a fire happen under one’s roof would undoubtedly be the last straw.

Although calls for a total ban of PMDs increase with each negative incident, we do wonder if Singaporeans won’t simply get rid of theirs before any such policy occurs.

At least 40% of Singaporeans want PMDs banned, according to a survey done by YouGov on 8 Oct.

An issue with new policies, such as the one that mandates the UL2272 safety standard is that they cannot be thoroughly enforced at the moment. Regulations can lower the amount of incidents, but can Singapore afford to wait?

Featured image adapted from SCDF.

Drop us your email so you won't miss the latest news.

  • More From Author