SFA & NEA Take Enforcement Action Against Tangs Market For Rat Infestation
The Singapore Food Agency (SFA) and the National Environment Agency (NEA) have jointly said that they will be taking enforcement action against Tangs Market, the food court at the basement of Tang Plaza, for rat infestation.
This comes after a video of a rat that seemingly passed out on a tray at the eatery went viral on Monday (27 Nov).
On top of that, they also found five food stalls with hygiene lapses at the same premises.
The agencies added that they will continue monitoring the effectiveness of the measures after this.
SFA & NEA officers went to inspect eatery following viral video
On Tuesday (28 Nov), SFA and NEA confirmed that they were aware of the video circulating online.
“Immediately upon learning about the incident, SFA and NEA officers conducted two rounds of joint inspection at Tangs Market,” wrote SFA in a Facebook statement.
There, they inspected takeaway food shops as well as common areas and ceiling for signs of pest and rat infestation.
Tangs Market building management to face enforcement action
Following their checks, they apparently found that rats had infested the ceiling areas of the premises.
NEA will hence be taking enforcement action against the building management for the oversight.
They also found five food shops with hygiene lapses, for which SFA will be taking the necessary steps.
“Food safety and vector control is a joint responsibility,” said the agencies.
“While agencies put in place and enforce regulatory measures, operators and premise owners must play their part too.”
They added that they will continue to monitor the effectiveness of these measures, to ensure food safety and eliminate the rodent issue.
Video of rodent apparently passed out at eatery went viral online
The enforcement action comes after a video of a rat seemingly passed out on a food tray at Tangs Market went viral on Monday (27 Nov).
The rodent was apparently twitching on the table while diners pointed it out to each other in shock.
However, the sight did not seem to bother other diners, who went about their business as usual.
Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at email@example.com.
Drop us your email so you won't miss the latest news.