You Can Now Move Chat History From Other Apps Over To Telegram
Earlier this month, privacy concerns over WhatsApp’s new terms caused many users to switch to other messaging platforms like Telegram and Signal.
But there’s much to consider when making the move, such as what would happen to our chat histories with friends and relatives.
Telegram has seemingly found the solution to this — it now allows you to transfer your chat history from WhatsApp to Telegram.
In a few simple steps, users can now enjoy Telegram’s services whilst preserving all the memories on other messaging apps.
Move chat history to Telegram in a few steps
iPhones users can move their WhatsApp chat histories to Telegram by exporting it from the contact’s or group’s ‘info’ page.
Then, select ‘Telegram’ in the ‘Share Menu’.
The same can be done on Android devices by tapping on the top right button to export the chat and then choosing to share on Telegram.
All messages imported to Telegram will carry their original timestamps.
In the case of group chats, importing chat histories would allow all members of the chat to access it.
Apart from WhatsApp, Telegram also allows users to move chat histories from LINE and KakaoTalk.
Moving chat history to Telegram – media files included – will not take up additional memory space on users’ devices.
However, do note that importing chats from other apps to Telegram will override any existing chat with the person on Telegram.
If you’re new to Telegram, here are a few differences from WhatsApp.
One unique feature that Telegram offers is the ability to delete messages for all users without a trace.
The same goes for deletion of group chats as well as call history.
Telegram adds that they do not store information on deleted chats and call logs so the deleted data will be wiped permanently if and when users choose to do so.
Another stand-out feature on Telegram is secret chat. These are perfect for those who have a little more to hide, or who want to chat with bae without getting incriminated over something said in the past.
Secret chats are also ideal for users who want to send each other passwords for their shared accounts.
On these chats, users can also tweak settings such that messages, photos, videos, or files self-destruct in a set amount of time after they are opened by the recipient.
These messages are encrypted end-to-end so no one else – even folks from Telegram – can access them.
Telegram welcomes suggestions on improvements
With these improvements, users on WhatsApp and LINE would be able to make the move over to Telegram more seamlessly.
Know someone who refused to move to Telegram citing concerns over their chat histories? Tag them in the comments below so they know of the new changes!
Meanwhile, here are some useful Telegram channels to consider joining if you’re new to the app.
TheSmartLocal (TSL) media channels
1. MS News: @mustsharenews – The latest Singapore news
2. TheSmartLocal: @tslmedia – The latest things to do in Singapore
3. Eatbook: @eatbooksg – Food discovery and reviews
4. Zula: @zulasg – Female-centric content
Other Telegram channels
5. SG Budget Babes: @budgetbabes – Deals for females
6. SG Student Deals: @sgstudentpromos – Student promos
7. SG Food Deals: @sgfooddeals – Food offers and promos
8. SG Travel Promos: @sgtravelpromos – Travel deals
9. SG Cab Promos: @sgcabcodes – Transport app promos
10. SG Weekend Plans: @sgweekend – Attraction promos
11. SG New Movies: @sgnewmovies – Netflix Singapore shows to watch
12. SG Parent Things: @sgparenthings – Promos for parents
13. SG Fitness & Health: @sgfitnesshealth – Promos for those into Fitspo
14. SG Tech & Games: @techngames – Promos for gadgets and games
Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Featured image adapted from The Press Stories.
Stay up to date!
Subscribe to MS News' mailing list to get the latest news updates