Dogs Die Of Heatstroke After Trainer Allegedly Leaves Them In A Car & Cools Them With Ice Water
Update (27 Oct, 3.30pm): In response to queries from MS News, AVS has confirmed that they’re investigating a case of 2 dogs that died from heatstroke for possible neglect and cruelty. You may read their full statement below.
For many pet owners, their fur kids are like their own children, whom they pamper and shower with love and affection.
That’s exactly how Ms Tay Jun Yi feels about her 2 French Bulldogs, Chocoby and Hunniby.
Sadly, she can no longer come home to their enthusiastic faces, after an unfortunate heatstroke claimed their lives.
Hoping to cherish their memory and remind pet owners as well as businesses to be wary, Ms Tay decided to share her heartbreaking story.
Trainer allegedly leaves French Bulldogs in car
On 4 Aug 2020, Ms Tay engaged the services of a licensed dog trainer, for a boarding and training programme.
All was well until 3 weeks later on 25 Aug, when the trainer visited Ms Tay’s home, to inform her that she had dropped Chocoby and Hunniby off at the vet.
Hunniby on a previous vet visit
Ms Tay told MS News that the vet later informed her that both her dogs were already dead upon arrival.
Dogs apparently die of heatstroke
According to Ms Tay, the vet identified their cause of death as heatstroke, after being left in the car for a long period of time.
The car was also apparently in an outdoor car park.
Ms Tay told MS News that the trainer had seemingly tried to save her dogs by applying cold water to cool them down.
The vet’s report stated, in verbatim,
The coats of both dogs were wet with water and ice cubes were placed in the containers the dogs were in. The top of the boxes were covered with black trash bags.
The vet additionally noted that despite the measures, the dogs’ body temperatures were around 40.4°C.
Ms Tay has also reported the case to the Animal & Veterinary Service (AVS), whom she says are currently investigating the incident.
We’ve reached out to the trainer in question, but she has declined to comment on the issue.
AVS meanwhile shared their official statement with MS News as follows:
The Animal and Veterinary Service (AVS), a cluster of the National Parks Board (NParks), is aware and is concerned about a case where two dogs had died of heatstroke after being left in a car. We are investigating the case for possible neglect and cruelty.
AVS takes all feedback received from the public on animal cruelty seriously, and will look into the cases reported. As with all investigations, all forms of evidence are critical to the process and photographic and/or video-graphic evidence provided by the public will help. They can alert AVS of any suspected cases via the online feedback form on our website at www.avs.gov.sg/feedback or call us at 1800-476-1600. Information shared with AVS will be kept strictly confidential.
Hope pet owners will be careful
Hunniby, who was born on 30 Oct 2019, would have turned 1 soon, had he not passed in Aug. As today marks 2 months since their passing, Ms Tay hopes to find closure.
More importantly, she hopes that her experience will serve as a reminder for parents not to leave their fur kids or children in a vehicle for too long.
For dog owners in particular, this is a lesson on what not to do when heatstroke happens. Taking your pet to the vet immediately would be the safest option.
We hope that AVS will help seek justice for Chocoby and Hunniby, and arrive at a fair resolution to the case.
Chocoby playing with a stick in happier days
MS News extends our sincere condolences to Ms Tay for her loss. May Chocoby and Hunniby rest in peace in puppy heaven.
Have news you must share? Get in touch with us via email at email@example.com.
All images courtesy of Ms Tay Jun Yi.